Wednesday, November 3, 2010

all caps is my worst enemy.

I never thought I would ever end up saying this about Youtube, honestly... but certain channels within are seeming like "main stream". It is strange reading that (YouTube is very well considered the opposite, as far as media goes), but this is a strong gut feeling. Have you ever seen videos by The Station? They basically hire a bunch of people who are already famous on YouTube and form a phalanx of ultra-fame that no one can even stand a chance to. The first I noticed of this new "main stream" was when I further inspected Shane Dawson's style of youtubing. For instance, the thumbnail of every single one of his videos (even his secondary channels) has a very bright (typically yellow) background with a cropped picture of him making a face. By itself, there's nothing really wrong with it, but It's not hard to see that tons and tons of people are adopting this style and wearing it out really bad. I personally didn't like Shane's videos from the beginning, but that's just a preference. In fact, I have a lot of respect for him. If you go to TheStation's channel, every single one of their videos is in ALL CAPS with an EXCLAMAT!ON MARK like it's being yelled or something. It's annoying, and I unsubscribed because of that alone, sadly. Their videos aren't funny anymore anyways. Now, people worry too much about demographics and try to adopt a style of humor that a certain group typically likes so that they can increase their numbers. That leads to money, due to the YouTube partnership program. I'm all for partnership with YouTube though, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like if every one made videos and didn't get paid for it. It wouldn't be about making money. Rather, it would probably be more common for people to make videos just because they like to do it, and that leads to a wider variety. This is because no one has to worry about what everyone likes. Maybe I just need to cool down. Take it easy, everyone. Time to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment